Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why ER HSA Contribution on a CA nonresident's W-2 form subject to CA income adjustment?

TaxesTech
Level 4

A Colorado full-year resident has passive loss from a minor ownership to a CA partnership holding CA farming property - he files a multi-state tax return. 

His W-2 income is 100% Colorado sourced income with a Employer HSA contribution.  Even I'm filing a Form 540NR and checked "Non Resident" on Sch CA-NR, ProConnect still gives me critical diagnostic warning, until I adjust CA income to include the ER HSA contribution as a CA taxable income. 

Client's only CA income source has a ordinary loss, but now he needs to pay a CA tax on part of his CO wages, which is hard to make sense...any one has the relevant CA tax code that I can quote? Or anything on ProConnect needs to be fixed?  Thank you in advance!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Because CA starts with Federal income, then adjusts that to comply with CA laws.  CA doesn't allow HSA contributions. 

Then the tax is computed, and then modified by the % of CA source income to Federal income as adjust to CA tax laws.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

Because CA starts with Federal income, then adjusts that to comply with CA laws.  CA doesn't allow HSA contributions. 

Then the tax is computed, and then modified by the % of CA source income to Federal income as adjust to CA tax laws.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

As for a cite - try Spidell's for all things CA.   

https://www.caltax.com/

( Generic Comment )"
TaxesTech
Level 4

Thank you so much!!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

YVW... I was working on a return with the same issue (tho my client lives in NV) and just reconciled the return.  So it was fresh on my mind 🙂

( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

I don't speak ITO (or Lacerte) but looking at the CaCa form I would expect the HSA adjustment in Part II Column C but not in Column E.  I'm wondering if you need a -1 somewhere?

(I'm looking at a client's return from last year so hopefully the CaCa sections/columns haven't changed for 2022!)

0 Cheers
TaxesTech
Level 4

You are right the adjustment was put in Column C and Column D and E were automatically populated the same thing...now I see the tax form did say in Column E that even Nonresident subject to adjustment.  Thank you so much!

0 Cheers