Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-employed health insurance deduction

JMReedy
Level 2

I am working with a new client. I am using her copy of last year's tax file as a guide line as to what has been filed previously. I see in Part II Line 17 Self-employed health insurance deduction a deduction. I see a Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction Worksheet with the same amount on Line 1. However, I see no supporting documents. Where did the previous tax preparer get this number? The issue is that the client did not pay for insurance nor has she use Marketplace insurance. She has always paid cash or has Medicaid. So is there a deduction that I am not seeing. If so, where and how do I calculate that amount?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
JMReedy
Level 2

I finally discovered the issue. The previous had this form for information that the client filled in for him. There was a one that said, "Hospital, Medical, Dental, Vision, Insurance Premiums". The client had listed $6,294.34. The issue is that he placed that amount as INSURANCE PREMIUMS! Those were medical cost not insurance! I am so happy she has moved to me. He did not advise her to pay quarterly to even cover SE tax! This is a mess I now have to clean up! Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

"However, I see no supporting documents. Where did the previous tax preparer get this number? The issue is that the client did not pay for insurance nor has she use Marketplace insurance. She has always paid cash or has Medicaid."

Which means someone misled or outright lied to someone.

This is not some generic deduction. It comes from paying medical insurance premiums. Not medical care, not office visits, not dental cleaning, and not an allowance. Medicare parts A and B and C and D and Gap insurance qualify, starting with 2012.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dkh
Level 15

Sounds like it's a good thing your client has left the previous preparer.

Is your new client self-employed?  If yes, is there some type of insurance the business paid that the previous preparer mistook as health insurance?   

JMReedy
Level 2

I finally discovered the issue. The previous had this form for information that the client filled in for him. There was a one that said, "Hospital, Medical, Dental, Vision, Insurance Premiums". The client had listed $6,294.34. The issue is that he placed that amount as INSURANCE PREMIUMS! Those were medical cost not insurance! I am so happy she has moved to me. He did not advise her to pay quarterly to even cover SE tax! This is a mess I now have to clean up! Thanks for the help!