Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend an accounting degree to a college student?

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11
U.S. faces accountant shortage

The accounting sector in U.S. is facing a shortfall of workers, with people put off the industry by issues including rates of pay, tough training, and long hours. Bloomberg analysis shows that there are currently 340,000 fewer accountants than five years ago. Approximately 65,000 U.S. students completed bachelor's or master's degrees in accounting in 2021/22, according to the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - 18% fewer than a decade earlier. The median salary for an entry level accountant is $71,000, according to Glassdoor, while the median pay for entry-level management consulting is $97,000 and for financial analyst roles, it is $95,000.
5 Comments 5
PATAX
Level 15

For corporate accounting - maybe. For public accounting and/or tax preparation - no.

IRonMaN
Level 15

A few years ago Minnesota passed a bill to require a 5 year accounting degree - because all of the other states are doing it.  Now because of the shortage of accountants, they tried passing a bill this year to change it back to 4 years but the bill stalled.  Who in the world would recommend a kid to go into accounting to sit in a classroom for 5 years to get into this wonky profession?

Slava Ukraini!
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would recommend a trade school. Less time, better pay QUICKER and a door to work up to management position for the brighter bulbs in the building.

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
qbteachmt
Level 15

I had so many clients that were county, city, town, and special purpose district clerks that it made me regret not considering that niche market myself. It pays well enough, it has benefits, it allows for some flexibility (even before the pandemic changed everything). I'd recommend that direction unless they are driven to work 80 hours a week and make huge $$. I have a niece that went into actuarial work. Yes, she's a math nerd.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Taxtime3
Level 4

I would recommend for them to buy a pump truck and some portable toilets.  At least then they would make some money dealing with peoples crap!