Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everybody wants to be an S Corp

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

guy calls.. tells me he has an easy return.. i learned my lesson thanks to PATAX to actually review last year's return before giving a quote.. so the guy with the easy return comes out today. and he goes.. i have a little side hustle.. ok.. no big deal I thought, Schedule C, even it is a SMLLC.. then he says he did about $ 200,000 in revenue and he is an S Corp.. i said.. oh who does your payroll?   he goes.. payroll? i don't run any payroll.. i said.. how do you get money out of the S Corp?  oh i just transfer it from my S Corp to my personal account.. so his S Corp shows $ 200,000 in income, virtually zero expenses.. (service business) so the net was about $ 200,000.  

so then i ask him.. who set up this S Corp?  oh the CPA that did my return last year.. she said i can save some money being an S Corp..  did she explain the whole issue of payroll to you? no, not really.. i just read something about payroll on my own last month he tells me.

some pretty sloppy work out there.. S corp with basically zero expenses, no payroll. no FICA.. nada.. oh well.. that was an interesting one at least if nothing else.

6 Comments 6
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

After his last years CPA told him about scorps he probable consulted his barber 😁😁

IRonMaN
Level 15

He just didn't clarify that he did consult his barber:

Cuts Plenty Anytime barbershop.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

There's still time to do 4th Quarter payroll tax returns for 2023 and even get the payroll tax deposit done in time to avoid penalties.

Better now than in February.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

He was actually going to consult his CPA again before setting the thing up.  But it so happened he had this chat with his barber while cutting his hair about scorp that he learned enough from his barber he felt confident this was a no brainier.  Like Liberty Mutual says "only pay for what you need", right /s

Fun fact, did you know that surgeons did not go to medical schools but were apprentices of barbers until the 1500's across Europe?  As a reflection of that tradition, surgeons in the UK today still ditch their Dr. title and revert to Mr. after completing their specialty training.  Look it up 😉

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

The cure for most illnesses back then was bloodletting by those barbers.  Kind of the same thing the IRS does to folks now.  Maybe instead of calling them IRS agents, we should start referring to them as IRS barbers.  💈

Slava Ukraini!
Taxtime3
Level 3

Carbon copy for me this week.

0 Cheers