Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you take $10,000 first time homebuyers tax credit when using an inherited IRA

Brad Farmer
Level 2

December 2023 client takes a distribution and receives a 1099-R 

Box 1 Gross Distribution $264,076

Box 2 Taxable Distribution $264,076

Box 2b Taxable amounts not determined checked

Box 7 Distribution Code 4 Death

IRA/SEP/Simple marked with X

Client used funds to purchase a home in 2023 with these funds.

Question: Can the client take a $10,000 first time homeowner's credit resulting in taxable income being reduced?  If yes, where do you enter in Lacerte?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's not a credit.

It doesn't reduce taxable income.

It is only an exception to the 10% premature distribution penalty.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's not a credit.

It doesn't reduce taxable income.

It is only an exception to the 10% premature distribution penalty.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

You're client isn't subject to that 10% penalty, so this is moot.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Brad Farmer
Level 2

Thanks for confirming what I found and have been applying for many years.  I got a client who insist that I'm wrong.

PATAX
Level 15

@Brad Farmer if your client is insisting that you are wrong, then what are you waiting for? Tell him to do the return himself.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"who insist that I'm wrong"

Wrong about which part?

"Dear client: if you were subject to an early withdrawal penalty, the first time homebuyer exception is one qualification for the waiver of the 10% penalty, for up to $10,000 of the distribution. Since you have an inherited IRA and are required to take distributions from it, there is no penalty at all. Therefore, the exception doesn't even apply to you. You have no penalty from which you need to be excused."

Put a rubberband around your wrist. Explain how it is landshark repellent. Offer him one, as well, to show you want him to be protected from landsharks. Oh, there is no such thing as a landshark? He still wants to be protected, right?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.