Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mismatch of Name assigned to EIN on Sch H

Level 5

My client obtained an EIN for her household employee, prior to marrying and changing her name.  This year and for 2021, her efiled MFJ returns have been rejected because the name on Sch H does not agree with the name IRS name associated with the EIN on Sch H. 

I overrode the name on Sch H to agree with the name associated with the EIN, and the return was rejected a second time.  Ultimately, I changed the name on the tax return back to her maiden name (which now does not agree with the name on her Social Security records), and it finally was accepted. 

After the 2021 tax return was rejected, she called IRS to change the name.  She was assured the name change had been completed.  Of course, she no written confirmation was sent to her.

Aside from obtaining a new EIN under her married name, which I anticipate will result in further confusion, does anyone have a suggested solution?



0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Level 14
Level 14

I believe you have to change your name associated with the EIN on schedule H the same as a business. 

The EIN or Employer Identification Number is a common way to identify businesses, and you should keep the information for it up to date, especially if you change your company's name. There's no way to update the name associated with your EIN electronically. There's also no official form, so you'll need to write a letter to the IRS same address that you file to.

0 Cheers