Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is Text of Unemployment Exclusion Amendment to Senate Bill

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

sjrcpa
Level 15

Two tax seasons in a row that just won't end.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

I think it was @rbynaker who was first to point out that the new subsection required that "modified AGI" be figured without regard to the entire section, and not just the subsection.  I am not surprised that IRS has conceded so quickly, but I'm surprised that it's not yet Friday night.  

IMO that's summer work.  Possibly Fall.  Maybe even early Winter.

Except for changing filing status from MFJ to MFS.  Don't let those returns turn into pumpkins.  

0 Cheers
CJHCPA
Level 1

For the exclusion of Unemployment Compensation, in a Community Property State, Married Filing Joint.
Facts: Husband $0.00 Unemployment Compensation Wfie: $15841 of Unemployment Compensation

According to all the IRS Guidance Online and Schedule 1 Instructions/Worksheet, in this example above,
INCOME INCOME TOTALS
HUSBAND $0.00 WIFE $15,841 $15,841
Exclusion $0.00 $10,200 $10,200

This is the way I presented the Amended Return to IRS; $10,200 Excluded Unemployment Compensation.

I see no where in IRS Website or Schedule 1 Form and Instructions and Worksheet for Unemployment Compensation exclusion an example or ruling that supports excluding the entire $15,841; by using the rationale that this is a community property state and therefore you get to add the $10,200 together and compare that to the total unemployment of $15841. As a matter of fact the IRS Online Questions and Answers has an example that does not support that conclusion, see copies of IRS Questions and Answers examples below.

I have copied and pasted some of the IRS Questions and Answers below about a Married Couple and how much they can exclude:

COPIED FROM IRS WEBSITE:
2020 Unemployment Compensation Exclusion FAQs — Topic B: Calculating the Exclusion

Q1. How much unemployment compensation do I exclude from my gross income? (added April 29, 2021)
A1. If eligible, exclude up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation paid to you in 2020 (and up to another $10,200 of unemployment compensation paid to your spouse if you're married and file a joint tax return). You don't have to pay tax on unemployment compensation that is excluded from your gross income.

Example 2: You're married and file a joint return with your spouse. Your joint modified AGI is less than $150,000. If you received $15,000 in unemployment compensation and your spouse received $10,000 in unemployment compensation, exclude $10,200 of your unemployment compensation and all $10,000 of your spouse's unemployment compensation so that only $4,800 of your unemployment compensation is taxable.

(COMMENT FROM CINDY J HARRIS CPA RE EXAMPLE 2, So notice they only excluded $20,200; not $20,400 of Unemployment Compensation because the Wife only had $10,000 of Unemployment Compensation. I think this example is very clear to my Taxpayers situation above)

IRS WEBSITE CONTINUED:

Use the Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet in the Instructions for Schedule 1 in the 2020 Form 1040 and 1040-SR instructions to figure the amount to exclude.

If you're married and file Form 1040-NR or file Form 1040 or 1040-SR separately from your spouse, you generally don't report your spouse's unemployment compensation on your tax return. You can't exclude any of your spouse's unemployment compensation that's not reported on your tax return, even if you claim your spouse as a dependent. You're eligible only for an exclusion up to $10,200.

(COMMENT FROM CINDY J HARRIS CPA; This is where in a Community Property State with Married Filing Separate (MFS) Returns, I would argue that 1/2 Unemployment Compensation is allocated to each spouse and therefore with $15,841 time 50 percent; the amounts are below the $10,200 exclusion for EACH PERSON and in this example the entire $15,841 would be excludable when you add the amount from EACH MFS Return. Because you are also subject to a lot of other rules related to MSF Returns, such as loose Education Credits etc.; splitting the income between spouses and getting a slightly higher exclusion does not in my case INCREASE THEIR REFUND from MFJ Return.)

IRS WEBSITE CONTINUED: Questions and Answers
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q3. What if my unemployment compensation is more than $10,200? (added April 29, 2021)
A3. If eligible, you should exclude only the lesser of your unemployment compensation amount reported on Schedule 1, Line 7, or $10,200 from your gross income. Amounts over $10,200 are still taxable. If your spouse is eligible and you file a joint return with your spouse, you should also exclude the lesser of your spouse's unemployment compensation amount reported on Schedule 1, line 7, or $10,200 from your gross income. The $10,200 limitation applies to each spouse individually, not jointly.

(COMMENT FROM CINDY J HARRIS CPA; So note in the Q3, A3 above the last line is clear
"THE $10,200 LIMITATION APPLIES TO EACH SPOUSE INDIVIDUALLY, NOT JOINTLY. -
SO, I do not see where you could have MFJ Return and exclude the $15,841 of Unemployment Compensation; as with the Taxpayers attached, unless you applied the $10,200 jointly as $20,400 disregarding whom received the unemployment compensation),

So, again I would appreciate knowing
a. why and
b. with what technical references

in a Community Property State you get to allocate the Spouse's Unemployment in excess of the $10,200 to the Husband so he can then use part of his $10,200 exclusion, even though he had zero unemployment compensation; as your Program is calculating.

Thank you for your time and attention to these matters.

xxxxx xxxxxx CPA
Account: xxxxx

LACERTE CALCULATION OF THE EXCLUSION AMOUNT; I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE RESULT, DISREGARDING COMMUNITY PROPERTY RULES OR NOT IN A MARRIED FILING JOINT RETURN.

LACERTE IS APPLY THE ENTIRE $20,400 Exclusion to the Entire $Unemployment Compensation, and the IRS Examples SAY JUST THE OPPOSITE; THAT you MUST apply the $10,200 exclusion separately to each spouses RECEIVED Unemployment compensation. I provide an example of one of my Clients below. I have asked LACERTE for reference to any technical information that comes to JOINTLY using the $10,200 exclusion against Unemployment Income, disregarding who RECEIVED Income or did not receive unemployment compensation income. 

Note; IRS Refunds are coming out with the same calcuations as Lacerte, but when I call the IRS they cannot reference ANY Questions and Answers, Law, Instructions to Forms that come to this conclusion. The IRS simply combined the exclusion also and applied against total of joint return unemployment compensation. AGAIN THIS IS COMPLETELY CONTRARY TO IRS EXAMPLES, See copies of Q&A from IRS Website below. 

MARRIED FILING JOINT: $15,841 is shown as Excludable if check the Apply Community Property Rules on Screen 3, with Community Property State in Options for Tax Returns.
The Lacerte Program is excluding the ENTIRE $15841 of Income using the $10,200 plus $10,200 = $20,400 Maximum Exclusion
I would appreciate receiving a reference to this conclusion from IRS re Publication, Rev Ruling etc. Code Sections Pub 555 Community Property rules etc.

Under a Married Filing Separate Return, I would come to the conclusion that $15,841 is excludable, but the Taxpayers are also subject to other rules such as the loss of the Education Credit and generally higher taxes if file separately,

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
qbteachmt
Level 15

A topic from March is totally outdated. Did you confirm the date(s) on your research findings? Because you know this changed late in the filing tax season.

Here:

https://www.caltax.com/news/hot-news-and-notes/irs-issues-guidance-on-ui-exclusion-and-community-pro...

Spidell, April 30, 2021.

"IRS issues guidance on UI exclusion and community property

Since the $10,200 UI exclusion was enacted by the American Rescue Plan Act, the big question has been how to treat the exclusion in community property states. It has been Spidell’s position that the UI benefits are community income that are split equally between the two spouses and each spouse may claim up to the $10,200 exclusion. The IRS has confirmed our position in an FAQ posted on its website (www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs-topic-a-eligibility)."

And: https://www.currentfederaltaxdevelopments.com/blog/2021/5/1/irs-confirms-married-couples-in-communit...

May 1, 2021; they discuss how MFS vs MFJ and that limit of $150k.

"Advisers who have taxpayers in one of the community property states (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin) began speculating that, due to the division that will take place for much of the couple’s income as community income, married couples in such states could have income of up to $300,000 and still get the exclusion if the taxpayers filed separate returns.

As well, even if total unemployment received by one spouse was more than $10,200, filing separate could also serve to increase the amount deductible in total between the spouses if the other spouse did not also have $10,200 of unemployment compensation.

On April 29, 2021, the IRS confirmed this thinking in Q&A 4 in Section A of the FAQ."

And: https://www.currentfederaltaxdevelopments.com/blog/2021/5/26/unemployment-income-treated-as-communit...

May 26, 2021.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

Just remember, at IRS, FAQ means "Fast!  Accuracy Questionable"

It's scary to think that in October someone is relying on an earlier version of IRS quick-and-dirty guidance that was corrected in May.  

CJHCPA
Level 1

Okay so the answer is in:

Q4. I'm married and live in a community property state. Am I eligible for the exclusion? (updated July 7, 2021)

if you file a Married Filing Jointly return, when completing the Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet – Schedule 1, Line 8, you should report half of your unemployment compensation and half of your spouse's unemployment compensation on line 8 of the worksheet and your spouse reports the other half of your unemployment compensation and half of his or her unemployment compensation on line 9 of the worksheet.  Do not enter more than $10,200 on either line 8 or line 9 of the worksheet.  If your joint modified AGI is less than $150,000, you and your spouse can exclude up to $10,200 each. Do not exclude more than the amount of unemployment compensation you report on your Schedule 1, Line 7.

Q4. Do I need to file an amended return if I live in a community property state and did not enter the correct exclusion amount on Schedule 1, line 8? (added July 7, 2021)

A4. If you entered an exclusion amount less than what it should have been based on  FAQ So if you live in a Community Property State, you do not need to file an amended return. The IRS will recalculate your exclusion amount following this guidance and adjust your return for the difference. These corrections are currently planned for later this summer. You will receive a notice regarding the correction within 30 days of your account being adjusted.