Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You Help IRS With A WISP?

BobKamman
Level 15

Maybe someone could start a GoFundMe account to help fund IRS improvements to its security.  

IRS Mission Statement:  "Watch what we say, not what we do."

WASHINGTON— The Internal Revenue Service inadvertently posted what is normally confidential information involving about 120,000 individuals before discovering the error and removing the data from its website, officials said Friday.

The data are from Form 990-T, which is often required for people with individual retirement accounts who earn certain types of business income within those retirement plans. That typically includes people whose IRAs are invested in master limited partnerships, real estate or other assets that generate income, not those whose IRAs are solely invested in securities.

The disclosures included names, contact information and financial information about income within those IRAs. It didn’t include Social Security numbers, full individual income information or other data that could affect a taxpayer’s credit, the Treasury Department determined, according to a letter that the administration is sending to key members of Congress on Friday.

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe someone declassified that information after they looked at it.  I hear some folks have the power to do that these days.😐

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  My security plan is to scatter empty file folders on the floor with "Confidential Tax Return Information" written on them.  Some have tar on the top and oil on the bottom. Anyone breaks in, they step on one, slip and fall, breaking their neck or cracking open their skull.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Can I get a written copy of your plan so that I can copy it?

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

I like it... low tech solutions can be very effective.  Not to mention easy to implement and not very costly.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  My friends Harvey the Hacker and Bert the Burglar tell me they can't wait until everyone has the same IRS-drafted security plan, because then they will know exactly what they have to get around in order to steal data or hardware.  The details in my plan are known only to me and my friend who speaks Hopi and has promised not to write them down.