Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can dad claim CTC or OTD Credits for his US Citizen child residing the entire year with his mom in Mexico?

Level 1

Dad (SINGLE/UNMARRIED) lives in California and has an ITIN.  Child is a US Citizen, 2 years old living with his mom in Mexico for the entire year.  He has supported more than half of the child's support.  Can he claim him as a dependent and/or Child Tax Credit, and/or Other Dependent Credit? If so, do he needs a form 8332 filled by mom? But, she doesn't have a Social nor ITIN.  I am confused because credit says, child must have lived with taxpayer for over half a year.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Level 15

You're going to want to bookmark this:


IRS wizard for filing status, dependency, credits, etc. Go through the interviews that apply.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Level 14
Level 14