Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2022 last year for program on CD

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I don't think I have used the CD for at least 10 - 15 years.  Received an email that 2023 will be digital only.  That is good.. I doubt many people use those CDs anyways. savings for Intuit. 

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
PATAX
Level 15

Many people still do use that initial CD. It is easier to download from this, especially if internet connection is slow or problematic. Also if your computer crashes, which for many it will sooner or later, then it is easier to reinstall the software from the CD. But I guess saving a few dollars is more important.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I was still receiving the CDs just in case I had some insane need to load the software 10 years down the road.  I never have had to do something goofy like that but it was nice to know I had that option available ------------------- just in case.  But since they only send out the first CD these days that option would be pretty useless based on the limited software capabilities on that first disk.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN years ago my computer crashed and I lost everything. I used that CD to download the initial software and then I downloaded the updates from intuit. If I did not have that CD then how would I download from Pro Series? I hope they keep the CD option. People will pay extra for it.

BobKamman
Level 15

You can download the entire program, you don't have to start with a CD.

I had been putting off buying a new computer because it's such an ordeal to transfer programs and files from old to new.  But the 2022 ProSeries program stopped working a couple weeks before April 18 on my desktop, so I had to finish the year with my backup.  (There was some Windows glitch that could not be fixed; 2021 and earlier years worked fine.)  Then I went shopping and found that "towers" are becoming obsolete.  Most options don't have an internal disk drive.  I bought a "mini" that is about the size of a Kleenex box, and doesn't weigh much more.  I have an external disk drive that I bought several years ago and haven't really used, so I'll hook that up eventually.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@PATAX wrote:

especially if internet connection is slow

The downloads take forever on my AOL dial-up internet.  🤣

BobKamman
Level 15

As I recall, the email did not say the CD would not be available, it would just not be sent unless requested.  

For those who want to tell me I bought the wrong thing and paid too much, here is what I am now using for less than $500:  Mini PC, Intel i7-10710U,  Windows 11 Pro Pre-Installed,16GB RAM 512GB M.2 SSD 6 Cores 12 Thread Mini Computer Support 4K-UHD HDMI,VGA Display, WiFi 2.4G/5G,BT4.2,4*USB 3.0,1*USB C.

I didn't have to connect it to my cable because it uses WiFi -- I will do that eventually, but for now my old computer is still hooked up to the same monitor and I can use it until it retires or I do, whichever comes first.  

The monitor, by the way, is installed and used in vertical position.  Why would anyone want to use an extra-wide monitor for filling out forms, or word processing?  Maybe if you do a lot of spreadsheets.  I never got much into those.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

As long as ProSeries works on it, you bought the right computer.

Slava Ukraini!