Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which amount do I include for the recovery rebate?

BGDria
Level 2

The parent and the college age-dependent both received the third stimulus check. The parent received $2,800 and the dependent received $1,400. The IRS letter, it's addressed to the guardian of, so does that mean I need to include the $1,400 on the recovery rebate portion of the parent's tax return or just the $2,800? 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

You record the parent's payments on their return and the dependent's payment on the dependent's return.  If the kid doesn't otherwise need to file, that payment doesn't get entered anywhere.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the kid was a dependent, how did he or she end up with a $1400 check?

Slava Ukraini!
BGDria
Level 2

I am not exactly sure. I was shocked to see both letters from the IRS. That’s why I’m unsure of which amount to put down. The parent stated that the dependent didn’t get any of the other stimulus checks, so could it be back pay? 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You put down what was actually received for the taxpayers listed on the 1040 - you don't add any amounts for what dependents might have received on the parent's return.

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

Had a dependent receive $1400. and letter....one of the parents receives disability and child receives ss benefits.  I guess we all know the rest. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I guess I hadn't thought about payments being generated that way - thanks for waking up my brain this morning.  But it's Friday, I think my brain is already looking forward to taking a nap this morning.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BGDria
Level 2

So did you only record the parent's amount or did you post both?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You record the parent's payments on their return and the dependent's payment on the dependent's return.  If the kid doesn't otherwise need to file, that payment doesn't get entered anywhere.

Slava Ukraini!