Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When sending forms to the government, what sections to I need to include?

Rick G
Level 1

Yes, I'm doing my own returns for a partnership.  I am preparing to print the sections to send to the US Gov't. as well as CA.  However, I've never been sure of all the sections - whether I don't need to send some.  Of these:

Client Correspondence, General, Federal Worksheets, Federal Depreciation Schedules, Federal Oil & Gas Schedules, State Worksheets, State Depreciation Schedules, State Oil & Gas Schedules, Separately Filed Forms, Federal Estimates, State Estimates, Federal Return and State Return.

AND - If I just select 'Client Copy' or 'Government Copy', I noticed that Intuit ProConnect automatically selects different options.  Is that all I have to do - print the selected copies and the right selections will be printed.  (for example, if I select 'Gov't. Copy, it doesn't select General, Fed. Worksheets, Fed Depreciation Schedules.,Fed Oil & Gas Schedules, State Worksheets, or State Oil & Gas Schedules.  

Is that the correct default?  Or are those boxes randomly selected?  Thanks in advance

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

The defaults for each of the sets is a good place to start. Most preparers tweak these to make themselves happy. Some include all worksheets for clients, some do not. For the Government copy - I select signature form only, since in only rare instances do I really mail a tax return. 

Review and modify the settings as you go. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Rick G
Level 1

Thanks for the response.  So if I select 'signature form only', is that all I need to return to the Fed and State?  It has the K-1s, etc. that they require?

Rick

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The signed efile forms stay with you. The electronic version of the tax return gets efiled with the IRS and state.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

You used the word "send." Did you really intend to mail all of this?

You print what is needed if you are giving paper to others, such as Partners. You print copies for your own files, including things like worksheets that you might not be able to get out of the software years later, such as Asset listings. You includes O&G if your entity has O&G. You e-file, not print, the return, most times, and the program sends all required forms and schedules (but not worksheets, for example, which are internal program entry and calculation tools for the most part), unless you are not e-filing and really are printing to mail. The client correspondence is for clients, which includes directions to your client (which might be you).

Your main filing form has lines that have values and there will be info that tells you if that is coming from another form or if that requires the inclusion of another form. And there is a sequence of attachments, if you really are printing and mailing, that you are supposed to follow.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Rick G
Level 1

Thank you for the responses.  Yes, I need to print and SNAIL MAIL my returns to both the Federal and State for a partnership.  I do not have an ERO #, which apparently is required to send returns electronically.  I was planning on sending the 1065s to the feds and 565s to the state, plus whatever general info needed for the partnership.  However, with multiple partners, I was trying to save paper/mailing by not including the 1065s, for example in the return I send to the state.  I just planned to send the 565s.  If anyone out there knows if that is the wrong way to do it, I'd appreciate you weighing in.  Thanks so much!  

Rick

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

When in doubt, read the instructions: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2022/2022-565-booklet.html

Used "attach" as a search word.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
qbteachmt
Level 15

Top right corner, you see the attachment sequence number of forms. And, for example, sometimes State also want specific forms or schedules from the Fed return, and sometimes they want a form or schedule you didn't realize needed to be included. Example: 990-EZ sometimes isn't that easy; you need to include 990-O.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers