Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-2 Box 16 for NJ wages is higher than the Box 1 Federal wages but ProConnect does not carry the correct amount to the NJ tax return. How do I fix this?

dkellycpa
Level 2

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

Did you enter the State wages if different down toward the bottom of the wage input for box 16?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
dkellycpa
Level 2

Yes, I did that but the program does not carry it to the NJ return. I have spent more than 2 hours today on the telephone and in a chat with ProConnect and now they tell me that the program does not allow the NJ total wages to exceed the Federal wages. That is unrealistic since some items are not taxed on the Federal level but they are taxed on the NJ state level. They suggested I file the Federal return first and then go back and change wages in the Federal input screen and then file the NJ return. This seems insane to me.

dkellycpa
Level 2

yes, I did that

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I just did a really simple sample return. Single person one W2 and it worked for me. 

Is this a multi state return? 

dkellycpa
Level 2

No, it's not multi-state and I did not check that box. I am thinking that there has got to be something checked off or not checked off somewhere in the General or Profile area or somewhere. There must be a trigger that I am not aware of. This is my first year trying ProConnect. I have previously used ProSeries for decades and it spoiled me, it's so intuitive. The ProConnect staff have so far been unable to help. I have spent over 5 hours with them via telephone and online chat just to have them say they don't understand why this is happening. I couldn't be more disappointed.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would suggest you delete the w-2 and enter it again. 

Here is my sample input

nj1.JPGnj2.JPG

dkellycpa
Level 2

yes, I thought I would give that a try. Thank you,

Dianne

0 Cheers