Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using client's software

yxia1
Level 1

I was required by a client to use his own Pro connect tax software. He needs to file an individual tax return, a partnership, a s-Corp and a c-corp. I will be paid on hourly rate. He said he will need to file extension, meaning the tax return will be e-filed just before Oct. 15th, 2024.  The client has around 100 real estate properties. Now he wants to sign contract with me. I have no experience on handling this kind of client. ( I usually use the pro connect tax online I purchased and deliver the return after the payment.). What should I mention on the contract? Please feel free to give your opinions and advises. Your help will be really appreciated.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

This sounds like a bad idea on so many levels.

Does the client have and EFIN? If not all these returns will need to be paper filed.

You would be added as a preparer and your vitals will then be in this other persons software, for them to use in the future. Do you trust this person to only use your info with your permission?

I would expect the time commitment to set up 100 rentals and their depreciation, PAL and any other carryovers to be quite significant. The process to convert from one user to another is a possibility with ProConnect, but you should call support to find out how that might work. 

I WOULD ONLY AGREE TO DO IT ON MY SOFTWARE. If the client wants a copy of the file for their software, I would give it to them AFTER the returns are finished. I don't think I would want to trust that the client with control would actually file what I prepared. They may want to improve on the product before they submit the return that has your name on it attesting to it's truth and acccuracy. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@yxia1 wrote:

I was required by a client ... I will be paid on hourly rate.

It sounds like he wants to be your employer (W-2), not your client.

I agree with George, if this is your business and he is a client, then you do things on YOUR terms with YOUR software.  If you agree to it, part of the agreement can certainly be that he gets a copy of the ProConnect tax files after it is filed (I'm assuming you can download and transfer the files???).

yxia1
Level 1

Your post is a great help. Thank you so much!

0 Cheers