Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATE SALES TAX REFUND

Petrie
Level 2

THE TAX SOFTWARE IS GIVING A 17 YEAR OLD A STATE SALES TAX REFUND.  SHE IS A DEPENDENT AND IS NOT SUPPOSED TO GET ONE UNLESS SHE WAS 18 WHEN THE TAX YEAR STARTED.  I CAN'T GET IT TO COME OFF.

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
George4Tacks
Level 15

1. All caps are really hard to read and frowned upon in this forum.

2. You are not asking ProConnect for help. You are asking other users for help.

3. We are not complete mind readers, so you must ask a full and complete question. In this case, include which state should be giving the money back to the 17 year old. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Petrie
Level 2

I probably need to ask Proconnect for help since it seems to be a Proconnect problem.

Thank you

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

share the state and I might be able to help.

0 Cheers
Petrie
Level 2

Colorado

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Which form or schedule and line is being calculated incorrectly?

0 Cheers
Petrie
Level 2

Thank you.

Colorado State Form DR0104 Line 34.  She was not born before 2005, but it is giving an $800 Sales Tax Credit.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Is she required to file a tax return?

State Sales Tax Refund: For full-year Colorado residents, born before 2005, or full-year Colorado residents who are under the age of eighteen but are required to file a return. Enter $800 for one qualifying taxpayer or $1,600 for two qualifying taxpayers filing jointly. See instructions if you are filing an extension.

Petrie
Level 2

Thank you!  I didn't see that anywhere on the Colorado  Dept of Rev website.  She needs to file a return to get a refund of the taxes withheld.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@IntuitGabi could you get product support look into this? It appears the sales tax credit is being applied when someone is not required to file, but is doing so to get a refund of withholding. I do not see any override.

EDIT:

@IntuitGabi IGNORE my call out. We don't need you when we have @itonewbie 😄

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Petrie  wrote:

Thank you!  I didn't see that anywhere on the Colorado  Dept of Rev website.  She needs to file a return to get a refund of the taxes withheld.

What was the tax withheld on?  CO income tax withheld on wages?  If so, she does qualify.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Colorado Revised Statutes §39-22-2003(1)(a)(I), unlike (II to IV), does not prescribe an age limit. The only requirements are that (1) the individual must be a full year domicile of CO and (2) a CO individual income tax return is filed to claim a refund of CO income tax withheld from wages for the current year.

Section 39-22-2003
State sales tax refund

• offset against state income tax
  • qualified individuals

(1) Intentionally left blank —Ed.
(a) For purposes of this section, “qualified individual” means:
(I) A natural person who is domiciled in this state for the entire taxable year commencing January 1 and ending December 31 of such taxable year and who has state income tax liability under section 39-22-104 for the taxable year or who files a Colorado individual income tax return to claim a refund of Colorado income tax withheld from wages for that tax year;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@George4Tacks wrote:

@IntuitGabi IGNORE my call out. We don't need you when we have @itonewbie 😄

Stop pulling my leg, George. 🤣

Still an AllStar
Petrie
Level 2

Yes, CO taxes withheld on wages.  Thank you for your help!