Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I do tax amendment for the critical diagnostics that was not existed when I successfully filed original return?

usergitbali
Level 1
I got critical diagnostics of "When Form 6251 is being generated in the federal return, Part II, Line 1 of the Federal Income Tax Deduction Worksheet may be incorrect. Use the input code in the Modifications Screen to enter the correct amount from the federal return as referenced in the worksheet." after successful filing return for AL. Do I have to do tax amendment for that?
0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

@usergitbali wrote:
I got critical diagnostics of "When Form 6251 is being generated in the federal return, Part II, Line 1 of the Federal Income Tax Deduction Worksheet may be incorrect. Use the input code in the Modifications Screen to enter the correct amount from the federal return as referenced in the worksheet." after successful filing return for AL. Do I have to do tax amendment for that?

Is this the exact message you got for the diagnostic?

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

1) F.6251 doesn't have a Part II, Line 1 since Line 1 is in Part I and Part II starts with Line 5.

2) F.6251 has no Federal Income Tax Deduction Worksheet.  What it has is an AMT exemption, which is automatically determined based on filing status and AMTI.

3) Federal income tax is deductible on the AL return but that should not be relevant to the federal return (let along F.6251).

I think there must have been a typo somewhere in your post because the diagnostic most likely referred to AL 40, Line 12, which has a Federal Income Tax Deduction Worksheet.  Part II, Line 1 (and Line 2) pulls various line items from the F.1040 to determine the amount deductible for AL purposes.

I'd take a second look at Line 12 on AL 40 to make sure the amount deducted is correct.  If so, no action is to be taken.  Otherwise, you may want to assess whether any change would have a material impact on the original return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar