Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S corp redemption - effect on remaining shareholders

bdiazNYC
Level 1

I have 3 shareholders in an S corp - A, B, and C.  Shares of A are being redeemed out by the corp.  Do the remaining shareholders B & C have a taxable event because their interests proportionately go up? Current equity breakdown is 65, 30 and 5.  65 shares redeemed from A.  35 shares remain between the other two shareholders B & C -- ownership goes to 15% and 85%.  I can't find a clear answer anywhere. 

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

No effect on remaining shareholders.

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Remaining s/h's B&C have an increase on their pcts. when A's shares are redeemed. What is the effective date for the redemption? You have to enter the change and decide how to allocate income from the ABC shares' pcts. to the AB shares' pcts..

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
bdiazNYC
Level 1

Thank you 

0 Cheers
bdiazNYC
Level 1

Thank you. Can you clarify- what do you mean by pcts? 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

pcts = percentages of ownership

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
bdiazNYC
Level 1

Ah yes of course. Percentages get readjusted to 85-15. Reallocation as of redemption date. Thank you 

0 Cheers
bdiazNYC
Level 1

Hi.  Follow up question.  Remaining shareholder ownership percentages get readjusted.  But no basis step up for either correct? Since no consideration granted for the stock. Thanks. I saw a post somewhere that said they get a step up but I can't figure out why that would be or how. 

0 Cheers