Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return keeps getting rejected w/ the following: EmployerNameControlTxt. Can I change the 'Employer Name' on Schedule H to something other than my name?

For tax year 2020, I filed my first ever Schedule H as we had a nanny. I used an existing EIN/Employer Name, which was my Single Member LLC. That return was accepted.

Now, for 2021, I've not changed anything; filed the W-2/W-3 using the EIN and Employer name, set up Sch. H, etc. But now, my return is being rejected because of a Code: SH-F1040-520-01 which is telling me that 'EmployerEIN' and 'EmployerNameControlTxt' must match data in the eFile database.
I know the EIN is correct; I am assuming the error is coming from the fact that my actual name is in the box listed where it says 'Employer Name' on Sch. H (which is the exact scenario from 2020). 

What is the issue here and why am I unable to type the name I want in there?
0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

My guess is that the SMLLC is Jim Smith, LLC whereas the tax return is for Jim Smith which does not have the LLC. The existing EIN should be used for employees of the regular business purpose of the LLC. A nanny to watch the kid is not a business purpose for the LLC.

I believe the client may need to get an EIN for themself as a person, not as an LLC. They may also need to register with the state as an employer. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I also believe you will have to get an EIN for self. Instructions for schedule H says, If you have household employees, you will need an EIN to file Schedule H. Here is link:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sh.pdf