Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I enter a FTC carryback on an amended Form 1116

internet
Level 2

Where do I enter a FTC carryback on an amended Form 1116? I can't see anything onbvious. Thank you.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxPandaCPA
Level 4

To enter a Foreign Tax Credit (FTC) carryback on an amended Form 1116:

Part I, Line 12:
This is where you enter foreign taxes paid or accrued. If you are carrying back a foreign tax credit, you'll enter the carryback amount here, adjusted for the relevant tax year.

Part III, Line 10:
On this line, you enter the total amount of foreign taxes paid or accrued. Ensure that the carryback amount is reflected correctly as part of this total.

Amended Return Specifics:
Check the "Amended" box at the top of Form 1116 if available, or indicate that it's an amended Form 1116.
Attach the amended Form 1116 to Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Explain the Changes:
On Form 1040-X, Part III, provide a detailed explanation of the changes being made to your original return, including the FTC carryback.

Supporting Documentation:
Include any necessary documentation that supports the FTC carryback, such as statements or schedules showing the calculation of the carryback amount.

Additional Tips:
Complete the Amended Form 1116:
Use Form 1116 to calculate the FTC for the tax year you are amending.
On an amended return, you will use the tax year for which you are claiming the carryback, not the year the foreign taxes were paid or accrued.
IRS Instructions: Follow the IRS instructions for Form 1116 and Form 1040-X carefully, as carrybacks can be complex and may require additional calculations or adjustments.

Hope it helps. Thank you in advance for marking mine as your "BEST answer"!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@TaxPandaCPA I think OP meant how to enter it in the software.

Ex-AllStar
internet
Level 2

OK so after a long to and fro with proconnect help it is indeed…. Impossible. Best workaround was to amend the prior year return, add the carry back as a foreign tax paid, run all the numbers, print a paper copy and hand fill in a Form 1116 with the carryback in part III line 10 of form 1116.

pretty bad really.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Thanks for letting us know the solution, even if it is not a good one.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers