Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What w-2 code should be used for MAPFML reported in box 12 (No, I do not mean box 14, thanks!)?

ADTAX
Level 1

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

@ADTAX wrote:

It is. However, it is usually reported in box 14 and not box 12. They did not take the leave so I'm not sure what box 12 code this would apply to. 

Shouldn't your client raise this question to payroll instead?

Sounds very much like payroll overrode the system to force this into Box 12 (which doesn't provide for the coding) what should normally go into Box 14.  The amount should be tell tale sign of whether this is the case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

My best guess is you are in MA and this MA Paid FaMily Leave.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/paid-family-and-medical-leave-pfml-overview-and-benefits

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
ADTAX
Level 1

It is. However, it is usually reported in box 14 and not box 12. They did not take the leave so I'm not sure what box 12 code this would apply to. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@ADTAX wrote:

Shouldn't your client raise this question to payroll instead?

Sounds very much like payroll overrode the system to force this into Box 12 (which doesn't provide for the coding) what should normally go into Box 14.  The amount should be tell tale sign of whether this is the case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar