Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Form W-2/Box 16 /State Wages

workhard2022
Level 3

I have a Form W-2: Box 1 Wages $20000,  in Box 12, it has a $1000 HSA contribution. but Box 16 state wages is $21,000 which means it already included that $1000 HSA.   when I enter this W-2 into Proconnect. I received a Critical diagnostic regarding HSA below:

Employer HSA contributions from the federal form W-2, box 12, code W are to be reported as an add-back on California Schedule CA-NR, Part II, line 1h, column C. The program did not automatically include employer HSA contributions as an add-back on Schedule CA-NR. Please enter the total employer HSA contributions from all the W-2s in "Other earned income [Adjust]" for an add-back on Schedule CA-NR, Part II, line 1h.

My question is:  this W-2 box 16 states wages already include that HSA $1000.  what should I do to clear this HSA related diagnostic?   I can't enter another $1000 by following the diagnostic instructions, because that will add the extra $1000 to CA income.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Many diagnostics are just warnings or alerts. If you have satisfied what is needed, then just ignore the diagnostic and file the return. 

Some are critical e-file diagnostics that need to be cleared before e-file. I do not believe that this is such a diagnostic.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

Many diagnostics are just warnings or alerts. If you have satisfied what is needed, then just ignore the diagnostic and file the return. 

Some are critical e-file diagnostics that need to be cleared before e-file. I do not believe that this is such a diagnostic.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns