Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProConnect Tax is giving me an error because I use my social security number and not an EIN

Deez
Level 2

I have an because I'm using my social and not an EIN. If I decide to get one will I have to reapply for a new EFIN?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Deez
Level 2

Thank you for your help. I talked with intuit support. Leaving that field blank worked, no more issue. Again thank you for all your help.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Are you the paid tax preparer?  You should not be entering your Social Security Number as the preparer information (and there isn't really a place for it anyway).  Are you referring to where you enter your PTIN?

0 Cheers
Deez
Level 2

Yes, I'm a paid preparer. I'm not talking about my PTIN. That is where it should be.

My business does not have an EIN number, so I put my social in under Firm Information, and now I'm getting an error on the return because my SSN has double zero and it is telling me that it shouldn't. I get that if it was an EIN, but my business is run under my social.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You would never use your Social Security Number.

I don't use ProConnect (I use ProSeries), but I don't enter an EIN.  Just the PTIN and it doesn't have any problem.  I'm not sure if this matters, but did you check the self-employed box?

Deez
Level 2

There's not box to check that I'm self-employed. I will have to try calling them. Thank you for your help.

This is the error that I have in the return: 

EF Critical Diagnostics

EF Critical Diagnostics prevent you from e-filing the return until resolved.

The first two digits of the firm's employer identification number (EIN) is invalid. A valid EIN may start with - 01 to 06, 10 to 16, 20 to 27, 30 to 48, 50 to 77, 80 to 88, 90 to 99. US - Ref #4515
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you don't have an EIN, you shouldn't be entering anything there.  Have you tried leaving it blank?

Deez
Level 2

Thank you for your help. I talked with intuit support. Leaving that field blank worked, no more issue. Again thank you for all your help.