Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Fraudulent return

decoursey01
Level 1

If I believe that a client may be giving me false information and the return may possibly be fraudulent, is there a way to process the return, submit and alert the IRS to verify this information without the client being aware and without me being held responsible?

I am not certain but I just want to protect myself in case the return is fraudulent. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt by not turning down the client, but I also don't want to lose my certification in the process.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you believe they are providing fraudulent information it’s time to walk away.  But I do have to ask, why do you feel that way?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Every client may be giving you false information, and every return may possibly be fraudulent.  As @IRonMaN asked, why is this one exceptionally suspect?  What would you tell IRS?  Why would you want to subject this person, who came to you for help, to weeks of IRS investigation and audit?  If IRS wants to do its job, maybe they should be looking more closely at you.