Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA Schedule E not printing when net income happens to be zero.

Jackiei99
Level 2

If Schedule E has gross income but after expenses has zero net income, the Federal Schedule E prints but the PA Schedule E doesn't print.  The only way to get it to print is to put a $1 of dummy net income.  Please fix this as it caused a problem and notices from PA, and wasted time now, due to this ProConnect Tax Online glitch.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
PATAX
Level 15

Jackie, you may want to try this: Go to Pa Schedule E and check "Yes" box marked "for profit property" and see if that helps you. Just my opinion.

Jackiei99
Level 2

Hi.  Thanks for the suggestion, but the checkboxes on that screen didn't change anything . I contacted the help desk about it and they could not generate the form either, and told me to make the suggestion on this website.  Oh well. 

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's the feedback from the team: 

Based on the instructions, a PA Sch E must be filed if there is net income or loss. In this case there is neither.

PA-40 Schedule E must be completed and included with an
originally filed PA-40, Personal Income Tax Return, or PA41, Fiduciary Income Tax Return, if a taxpayer, spouse or fiduciary (estate or trust) has net income (loss) from:
● Rental property;
● Royalties from oil and gas wells, book sales and/or other
sources;
● Patents; and/or
● Copyrights.

Page 1 of instructions, found here: https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/2021/2021_pa-40e.p...

0 Cheers
Jackiei99
Level 2

In my case, the income on Line 2 royalites tied to a 1099 that the taxpayer received.  So by not including the form, because net income was zero (after management fees) it generated a matching notice from PA.  I understand the forms instructions, don't call for it, but please make it an option to force print PA Schedule E, if needed.  

Thanks.