Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On a high-income client, the Sch CA shows an addition to wages. There were no other forms of income other than straight W2 wages. Anyone have an ideas?

robinweaver
Level 3

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Box 10 over $5,000?

If not, what are the amounts of Federal wages and state adjustment?

If not, it's likely the W-2's have something "out of the ordinary" in the sense that CA taxes the "out of the ordinary" items.  Check with the Sch CA instructions again.  

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Immediately came to mind: Code W - Employer contributions to HSA?

If not, look at the W-2 input, would the CA increase be tied to amounts entered with another/other code(s)?

robinweaver
Level 3

Yes, I thought that might be it but no HSA.  I have codes V, DD, D, and C.  None of them are any where near the amount that the program is adding on Sch CA.  Any other thoughts?  I read through the instructions and can't see why there would be an addition.

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Box 10 over $5,000?

If not, what are the amounts of Federal wages and state adjustment?

If not, it's likely the W-2's have something "out of the ordinary" in the sense that CA taxes the "out of the ordinary" items.  Check with the Sch CA instructions again.  

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

When all fails, email Lacerte.  Attach the client file and ask.  

0 Cheers
robinweaver
Level 3

Yes!  That's it.  Thank you for pointing that out.  I was so focused on box 12 that I didn't think of box 10.

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

You're welcome. We're here to help - and also learn from - each other.

The culprit is new for 2021.  CA did NOT conform to the raised federal benefit amount.  That's why I didn't think of it immediately.

Happy taxing.

0 Cheers