Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to delete a vehicle that was not used in my business last year.

aztaxlady
Level 2

This is my first time using Proconnect.  I can't find a way to even access the original input page for this vehicle.  It's forcing depreciation into my business expenses and I can't figure out how to override it or delete the item.  Anyone know how to do this?  Thanks for any help!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Rental house - I would enter a date of sale for all of the assets, but no sales price. That makes the depreciation stop and the asset go away the next year. Next year, delete the rental. This year claim part year taxes, interest and insurance on rental and on Schedule A, proportionally.

Now - Motorhome - All PS assets should have ended up in Deductions > Depreciation. They don't want you to use 2106, but it is there as a tool. 2106 to schedule A, or C or E or ... allows for mileage rate to be taken and the right data to get to Sch C or E or ... and 4562.  The Depreciation has a section for "Auto & Additional Information" to get the mileage and expenses together for carrying to Schedule C, E, .....

You motorhome MUST be sitting at the side of the road in one of the two entry area - Depreciation or 2106. 

Depreciation Quick Entry is where I would start. If the listing is short and there is a description of the vehicle then VOILA!, she is found! I would be inclined to click the garbage can and get rid of it.

Not likely, but also look at Direct Input (4562) for something to delete.

2106 is a bit harder, Each tab should have a 1st entry for a word and a 2nd entry that links where the input goes.  There will be tabs with a tiny x in the upper right corner - Use this to DELETE any 2106 that remotely looks suspicious. It does allow for 2 vehicles, so if there  were 3 vehicles then that 3rd vehicle may be hiding in the wings, unseen. DELETE THAT 2106 and then create a new one. 

The software is quite foreign and there will be a steep learning curve, but it is dooable and there are some tricks to learn along the way. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

1. Are you POSITIVE you did not accidentally enter and expense in depreciation for that business?

2. The input should be in the depreciation section.

What type of return are you doing? What line # and form did this miscreant data show up on? 

0 Cheers
aztaxlady
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  I'm at wit's end here.

The vehicle in question is a motorhome that has been used for a couple of side jobs since I bought it in 2017 but was not used for any jobs in 2021 or 2022.  In 2021 I showed it with NO business mileage and it was marked for mileage rate only, not Actual expenses so it netted a zero since there was no business percent to apply to depreciate it in 2021. It computed accurately (to zero) in my 2021 Proseries software but when I converted the 2021 data to ProConnect so I could file 2022 it insists that this asset is used 100% in business and with Actual expenses and it is depreciating a few thousand dollars for 2022.  I can't edit anything on the source form and I can't delete the form.  This is my first time in Proconnect and I'm only working on my own return right now before I try to tackle any clients but so far ... I am NOT happy with Proconnect AT ALL.  I'm used to being able to just click on a form and enter or edit any of its fields.  There is so much I can't alter here and I have to hunt down the source forms instead of being able to click through from wherever I see the data.

Proseries enters assets on an asset page that connects to the Schedule C or E or whatever you launched it from, not the 2106 employee business expense page they want us to use in Proconnect, from which it links to the Schedule C as part of the total vehicle expenses.  I can't even see the form this was entered on, I just see what it did with it on summary pages but I can't click into the fields where I'm seeing it.  Part of the problem is the 2106 can only deal with 2 vehicles and the motorhome is #3.  I'd gladly delete it but I can't find a way to do that.

0 Cheers
aztaxlady
Level 2

And I'm doing my personal 1040 with a Schedule C and Schedule E.  I also need to remove one of my rental houses since I'm now living in it but that's another issue.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Rental house - I would enter a date of sale for all of the assets, but no sales price. That makes the depreciation stop and the asset go away the next year. Next year, delete the rental. This year claim part year taxes, interest and insurance on rental and on Schedule A, proportionally.

Now - Motorhome - All PS assets should have ended up in Deductions > Depreciation. They don't want you to use 2106, but it is there as a tool. 2106 to schedule A, or C or E or ... allows for mileage rate to be taken and the right data to get to Sch C or E or ... and 4562.  The Depreciation has a section for "Auto & Additional Information" to get the mileage and expenses together for carrying to Schedule C, E, .....

You motorhome MUST be sitting at the side of the road in one of the two entry area - Depreciation or 2106. 

Depreciation Quick Entry is where I would start. If the listing is short and there is a description of the vehicle then VOILA!, she is found! I would be inclined to click the garbage can and get rid of it.

Not likely, but also look at Direct Input (4562) for something to delete.

2106 is a bit harder, Each tab should have a 1st entry for a word and a 2nd entry that links where the input goes.  There will be tabs with a tiny x in the upper right corner - Use this to DELETE any 2106 that remotely looks suspicious. It does allow for 2 vehicles, so if there  were 3 vehicles then that 3rd vehicle may be hiding in the wings, unseen. DELETE THAT 2106 and then create a new one. 

The software is quite foreign and there will be a steep learning curve, but it is dooable and there are some tricks to learn along the way. 

aztaxlady
Level 2

Thanks, you gave me enough clues that I was able to just delete the motorhome.  I also deleted the rental house I'm living in.  When I sell it I can go back to 2021's return to find the basis etc and the depreciation.  I never throw anything out.

Thanks so much for your help.  I feel more empowered about this new software now.