Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I enter the spouse's ITIN on the return and electronically file, but it was rejected for SSN and name not matching. I don't see in ProConnect where to indicate ITIN. ??

tonyaoliver
Level 2

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
itonewbie
Level 15

That has nothing to do with whether the system allows you to indicate whether the TIN is an SSN or ITIN.  It's not necessary because ITIN has a standard format and convention that it is automatically recognized - when these standards are not met, ProConnect Tax will spit out an instantaneous error message to prompt a correction.

Question is what exactly is the error code you received.  If that code pertains to name control, you should first verify that you have entered the correct names.  Since the rejection is for a mismatch on the spouse, I'd check to make sure the ITIN was issued with the same last name used on the return (e.g. maiden name vs married name).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar