Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file extension for CA Form 568?

olgaates
Level 2

Hi. I'm preparing CA Form 568 for an NRA SMLLC owner and only Form 568 (not federal Form 1040NR, not CA Form 540NR). It seems it's not possible to file an extension for Form 568 via PTO by entering $800 LLC tax payment since PTO automatically generates Form 540NR that cannot be supressed and also requires a payment for it (even though I'm not filing a Form 540NR!). Does anyone have a workaround for this?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you trying to apply for an extension or making a payment by the due date?  This is what the filing instructions says:

SMLLCs disregarded for tax purposes will be granted an automatic six month
extension, with the exception of an SMLLC owned by a partnership or an
LLC that is classified as a partnership for California tax purposes, which will
be granted an automatic seven month extension. For more information see
R&TC Section 18567

In any case, ProConnect will charge for a return once you initiate e-filing, whether for extension or an actual return, or when it's printed.

If it's only for making a payment, you may want to direct your client to the FTB's Web Pay website instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
olgaates
Level 2

Thank you for your reply. I was trying to pay the 2023 CA franchise tax by the due date and I thought the payment was mandatory for extending the CA return. It seems this is not the case. Anyway, we used CA webpay as you mentioned. 

And as for the tax return charge of PTO, I'm aware. We will e-file a Form 568 eventually so the charge is needed.

0 Cheers