Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter 529 contributions, car taxes, registration and tolls for the State of MA tax return?

fcalvi
Level 1

I am trying to enter allowing tax deductions for the State of MA in Proconnect.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

As a rule of thumb, state-specific items which don't affect the federal return would normally be found under State & Local > Modifications.  And it is for MA 529 contributions.

The other I/D expenses would normally flow through to states automatically, which are then allowed/disallowed based on state law.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Items entered in Schedule A that do NOT really work for the 1040, will carry to the state return. That should handle all but the 529. 

Find the search box at the top of the column you get when you click the < in the upper left. 

I think the 529 is MA Modifications > Prepaid tuition or college savings program deduction on Schedule Y

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
George4Tacks
Level 15

😄

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
EllaQCPA
Level 3

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! you are amazing - I found this tip super helpful and helped my client saved $100 🙂 

CPA Master of Accounting
0 Cheers