Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you tell the software what to pick up for a non-resident MO state return? It's picking up all their income, but should only be picking up one w-2.

I even tried the override input for MO under State and Local --> MO--> Income, but the MO1040 still picks up the totals from the Federal 1040.  
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
greg7
Level 3

I recently had to deal with something like this and found out that the State returns often use total wages, then they have an adjustment or credit later on in the return for wages earned outside the state or while non-resident.  I had to work with the help desk to get it to work correctly - there were certain fields that had to have a value to trigger it to do what I needed it to do.

I assume you have done the non-resident state entries?  

I would preview the non resident form and try to trace it to the state return.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
greg7
Level 3

I recently had to deal with something like this and found out that the State returns often use total wages, then they have an adjustment or credit later on in the return for wages earned outside the state or while non-resident.  I had to work with the help desk to get it to work correctly - there were certain fields that had to have a value to trigger it to do what I needed it to do.

I assume you have done the non-resident state entries?  

I would preview the non resident form and try to trace it to the state return.

0 Cheers

Thanks for your suggestion! I had to go into the Client Information screen and check the "multi-state return?" field to get the system to allocate between the two states.

0 Cheers