Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I efile CA540-X on PTO?

Ariel
Level 1

I followed the instructions to e-file amended Cal returns (i.e. in Profiles, select Cal Amended "Select for E-file, and in Input Returns, entered 1=amending state)

After I followed those instructions Cal Amended still has Critical Diagnostic exclamation mark in a red circle. I can't checkmark the box to select to e-file California Amended.

What step did I miss?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
itonewbie
Level 15

You probably did not select CA from the dropdown next to 1=amending state return.

Without this selection, your checkbox under Profile only tells ProConnect that you intend to e-file the CA amended return.  And that will generate a critical diagnostic that reminds you to trigger the CA amended return, showing you the input screen to update, which you have probably overlooked.

Once you make the change, Sch X will be produced with the amended return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Ariel
Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I actually did enter 1=amending state in the checkbox right under "Amending federal return".

I tried that with multistate so that I get CA as the dropdown, and I tried it without multistate so that there's no CA dropdown: neither fixed the critical diagnostic.

What did I miss?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Do you at least have a Sch X generated?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Ariel
Level 1

Yes, the software shows Cal schedule X correctly - with original and amended tax, reason for amending and further explanation boxes filled out.

The diagnostic reference code doesn't help either.

0 Cheers