Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I remove the extra dependent from my client's return?

Windwalker
Level 1

Client K is divorced with two dependents, but can take only one alternating each year.  For this year, she can take Dep. L; next year will be Dep. C,etc,etc.

Problem I have is that K's  return is showing both Deps for this year, and no way to remove the offending Dep.

Help, please. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

i

find all that white space to be offending. If you were to look more carefully you might find the little box 

that says Dependent Not Claimed Each Year. That box is magic when you want to remove offensive dependents. I only wish it worked with grown children. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

i

find all that white space to be offending. If you were to look more carefully you might find the little box 

that says Dependent Not Claimed Each Year. That box is magic when you want to remove offensive dependents. I only wish it worked with grown children. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Dependents are not offending unless they caused the divorce. It is typically the parents' fault.

Is there a box to check called "Type of dependent" that you can check to say "not a dependent but still qualifying...," only if the TP doesn't qualify for EITC? Then you can keep the dependents' info and only claim the correct one each year.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.