Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I prepare Married Filing Separate Returns

idawkrizman
Level 3
I have a married couple that can benefit if they file separate returns.  I have never had to do this, and all the documents are on the Husband's Client account.  Is there advice to prepare the separate returns?  Do I just copy and change the client or do I have to separate the clients?  Is this going to be two returns against my account balance or one?
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
idawkrizman
Level 3

It would be nice to be able to use two credits but no have to create three returns - Married Joint then two Married Separately.  I did create the two returns.  Was hoping for a simpler solution.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-filing-status/help/married-filing-jointly-vs-married-fil...

You will need to use two credits to create these two SEPARATE tax returns. Be sure to charge appropriately. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
idawkrizman
Level 3

It would be nice to be able to use two credits but no have to create three returns - Married Joint then two Married Separately.  I did create the two returns.  Was hoping for a simpler solution.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think that you can:

1. Make a copy of the Return and switch TP and SP and use this return for the SP by changing all T & S references in the return. 

2. Use your original return for the TaxPayer return. Just change filing status to MFS. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers