Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello. I need help with Net earning from Self-employment on Form 1065. The entire net income is flowing to line 14a of K-1 and it should only be a portion. Help? TY

mj24lindala
Level 1

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Why do you think it should only be a portion?

0 Cheers
mj24lindala
Level 1

Yes.  Other software I used it was easy to allocate how much is self employed earnings.  This return I used the allocation boxes and it still leaves the full net income and considers it as all self employment.  Client took guaranteed payments and that will flow to their personal return as self employed income, remainder is net profit.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Unless the person is a Limited Partner, the profit in Box 1 is all self employment income.

George4Tacks
Level 15

In the screen for Partner Information.  Which box did you check? General Partner / LLC Manager?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
yesitjcampo
Level 1

What about when the partner is a foreigner?? I believe this partner should not be subject to self employment tax.

0 Cheers
yesitjcampo
Level 1

I found the answer to my question. the PTO was not calculating the proper Self Employment tax for the citizen partner nor for the foreign partner. There was a loss coming from another partnership where this partnership had a 50% interest. I did enter the ordinary loss from that other partnership under Sch K, "Passthrough K-1's but had forgotten to enter the same loss as a Self Employment tax loss on line 14(A). Since I had not entered this loss under line 14(A), the Self employment tax income on the Sch K of the main 1065 was calculating a higher possitive amount than the income amount on line 1 of Sch K.

Once I entered the SE Tax loss amount, it resolved the issue.