Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hawaii Form N-11 line 7 on page 2 is not calculating the "Difference in state/federal wages due to COLA, ERS, etc."?

I the Federal Wages page, there is "Wage difference/tax-exempt cost of living allowance" with a box one can put a check mark, but it does not do anything.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions

The HI wages were larger than the Federal, so according to N-11 instructions, you are to add the difference between the W-2 box 1 and 16 on the N-11 line 8 (not 7 above). ProConnect was not calculating correctly, but in a chat, I got help from a ProConnect Expert on how to make the system work correctly.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

It works for me. 

1. Did you enter the state wages, if different?

2. Was your entry LARGER than the Federal Wages?

FYI - One more reason Lacerte is different. For most entry items, pressing F1 will give information about that input item. Here is what is said for that box you found:

1 If Wage Diff. from Tax-Exempt Cost of Living Allowance

HI Wages, Salaries, Tips Screen 10; Code 103

Select the box (or enter 1) to calculate the Federal Schedule A apportioning the amount of deductible state tax withheld. The program deducts the full amount of state withholding for Hawaii itemized deductions, and makes a wage adjustment on Form N-11, line 8.

Answers are easy. Questions are hard!
0 Cheers

The HI wages were larger than the Federal, so according to N-11 instructions, you are to add the difference between the W-2 box 1 and 16 on the N-11 line 8 (not 7 above). ProConnect was not calculating correctly, but in a chat, I got help from a ProConnect Expert on how to make the system work correctly.