Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing Federal extension when State return expects a refund

Level 2

Hello community!

I have a return that needs an extension on the Federal, but the state return shows a refund.  The client wants to file an extension on the Fed.  

How do I file in this scenario? 

Is there a way to file the Fed extension only (hold the state return) at this time, and file the final Fed and the State returns together later?  

Thank you!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1

What are the state rules about filing an extension?  States are different. For example, California doesn't require an extension unless the TP is making a payment.


In LC, the Federal 4868 can be filed without the state extension. I'm sure there is a way to do that in PS.

0 Cheers