Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family sold their CO home, land in WY and purchased a home in OH. What form is this recorded on? And is it US or CO?

KMA-Tax
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Report on Sch D / Form 8949.  If WY land is a business asset, you'd report that on F.4797.

• CO Home: CO (but also OH if sold while tax resident of OH with credit for CO tax unless fully excluded under §121)
  • WY Land: State of tax resident when the sale occurred

If these are installment sales, please let us know so that we can provide more info.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
itonewbie
Level 15

Report on Sch D / Form 8949.  If WY land is a business asset, you'd report that on F.4797.

• CO Home: CO (but also OH if sold while tax resident of OH with credit for CO tax unless fully excluded under §121)
  • WY Land: State of tax resident when the sale occurred

If these are installment sales, please let us know so that we can provide more info.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
KMA-Tax
Level 2
Does only the net profit get reported?
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8
No
0 Cheers
KMA-Tax
Level 2
So the sales of the CO home and land in WY are fully taxed and the purchase of the OH home is not documented anywhere?
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The gain is fully taxed, but where are you thinking the OH purchase could possibly be documented?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@KMA Tax Are you thinking of the old §1034 that has been obsolete for ages?
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
KMA-Tax
Level 2
I was not sure, hence the reason for reaching out. I have had two CPA's tell me two different things and am wanting to ensure accuracy of this return. The family took the check from the sale of the CO home, and gave it as down payment for the OH home at closing, all transactions were within the same month. I know the WY land would be taxed, however I am struggling with the CO/OH transaction.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Read the instructions for each state's returns. Answers from 2 CPAs and starngers on the internet will not "ensure accuracy of this return." But my colleagues here are giving you the correct answers.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers