Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical Diagnostic for 8812 with Adult dependent

maryanntherese
Level 1

I am working on a 2021 return on ProConnect for a person whose mother was a dependent during 2021. I entered the date of birth and that the relationship is Parent. I keep getting the error below as a Critical Diagnostic, and I can't figure out how to resolve it. Thanks!

To compute Schedule 8812, entries are required in "Advance child tax credit payment received as shown on IRS Letter 6419, box 1." If the taxpayer and/or spouse did not receive Letter 6419, go to the child tax credit update portal at IRS.gov/CTCportal or call 800-908-4184 to get the information needed.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

The software may be requiring everyone with a dependent to indicate what was received, even if it was zero. See if there is a worksheet or box to check, that zero was received.

The age alone should have taken care of the issue, but apparently it is not. Double check the DOB you entered to be sure.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

The software may be requiring everyone with a dependent to indicate what was received, even if it was zero. See if there is a worksheet or box to check, that zero was received.

The age alone should have taken care of the issue, but apparently it is not. Double check the DOB you entered to be sure.

maryanntherese
Level 1

Thanks! Managed to bypass it by putting -1 in the box for the amount of credit received. 

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Great, glad you found a way.

0 Cheers