Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you claim the child tax credit for a child with an ITIN?

skyworks
Level 5

Hi,

I have a MFJ return, 

Taxpayer has SS#, but wife and child have ITIN, the child credit is not showing on the return.

And on 1040 Dependents section, the system default "child is not as qualified for child credit".

Is there a way to over write the qualifying child credit?

thanks!

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

They may qualify for the $500 credit, but they don't qualify for the $3000/$2000 credit.

skyworks
Level 5

"but they don't qualify for the $3000/$2000 credit"

is it because the child only has ITIN not SS number?

Even the $500 credit did not show on the line.

itonewbie
Level 15

That's because dependent children without SSN issued to citizens or those who are eligible for employment no longer qualify for CTC under TCJA.  See §24(h)(7).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
skyworks
Level 5

Thanks for respond to me.

But what confused me is that, last year they went to IRS center (where they applied ITIN)  to submit their paper 1040 for 2020, the IRS center told them added $500 to their 2020 return which was missed by our system.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If you're referring to other dependent credit, you may want to check your entries again.  This is computing correctly from what I can tell.  Just did a quick experiment and it's popping up on F.8812 Lines 6 and 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers