Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can it make sense for a 2021 MFJ return, with no children, to have a $3,409 Earned Income Credit?

quintin_s_smith
Level 1
I'm using the tax planning tool to estimate capital gains that could be harvested at a 0% rate.
Given the relaxed rules around EIC for 2021 my clients would qualify - retired, 66 and 70 years old, no qualifying children, less than $10,000 investment income, about $10,000 of earned income.
$3,409 EIC looks funny to me - for 2021, the max EIC with no children is $1,502 so whether the $1,502 is per return or per person (1,502 x 2 = 3,004) how could the answer be $3,409?

I would like to confidently advise my client to harvest some capital gains at the 0% rate (less than $10,000 per EIC limits) but I am concerned the software may not be calculating things correctly.  What do you think?
0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
IRonMaN
Level 15

When I'm not confident in the numbers the software is providing I take a step back and calculate those numbers myself.  Clients are paying us for our tax expertise so sometimes we need to put that expertise to use.

Slava Ukraini!