Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone give me guidance on this for FORM? US-Ref#25297 Critical Diagnostic "Explanation for Delay in Closing Estate" 1041, 2nd yr for estate. Income is dividends

lk02092018
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

When an estate has been open for more than 2 years you have to tell the IRS why it hasn't been closed yet.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Page 3, Question 8.  Like, there's some IRS employee in pajamas at home on a couch, looking for these to make sure there's a good reason.  I leave it blank, but my fiduciary client prefers paper returns.  Just enter something like "Estate is still under administration and not ready to close." 

Remember the old days, when the second extension request filed on August 15 had to show a reason?  It's sort of like that game.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

I have one that I thought was turning into Bleak House. Open for 9 years while heirs and tenants fought, sued and counter sued. Finally closed last month. I put an explanation. Never had any inquiry.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa 

Why the dickens you have to bring up the Jarndyce case?  Keep your literary allusions to yourself, Boomer.

It was as true . . . as turnips is. It was as true . . . as taxes is. And nothing’s truer than them.
...From  David Copperfield

sjrcpa
Level 15

😄

Ex-AllStar