Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Disaster Declaration returns

mlebovitz
Level 1

I have called tech support at least several times regarding how to designate a return filed under the CA Disaster relief for filing date and payments to October 16.

Most reps don't know and none have been able to provide a solution to include a payment date for both Federal and CA taxes to 10/16/2023.  

One was able to effect an October 16 payment date for the Federal return by changing the Letter date; however, did not change California.  

Rather than a method to include the disaster information in the space at the top of 1040 page 1 (learned this for a NY disaster & in the same space as noted for a deceased person), the option offered by another rep was text only that didn't impact filing time, payments or penalties.  

After a particularly frustrating call with tech support today, I emailed the President's office and got a "no open ticket" response.  

I am planning to extend my CA returns, but there are some that I could finish but for the payments.  

Please let me know how you are handling this.

Thanks,

Marcy Lebovitz, CPA, Santa Monica CA marcy@lebovitzcpa.com 201-725-2331

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

I am very certain that IRS will send nastygrams to each of those that should get automatic extension. I am completing or extending everyone to hopefully avoid the nastygram.

I know 3 other CA offices doing the same. The few clients that want to play the game and wait until October to pay their taxes are getting a "If you get a penalty, don't come crying to me!" letter from the office. 

The only thing you can do in the program is Letter > Due date of return [Override] so that the letter shows October instead of April 

P.S. You generally should not show all that personal information on this public forum. 

George, somewhere in the great disaster

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns