Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG in Virginia 2021 Tax Return

Mark_19
Level 2

There are appears to be a bug in the Spouse Tax  Adjustment Worksheet Form 760, Page 1, Line 18 of the 2021 Virginia Tax Return. This Virginia form requires the taxpayer and spouse income to be split to calculate the spousal tax adjustment. 

On line 10 of the worksheet, Adjustments to Gross Income, the worksheet is including the contribution amount that is allowed for MFJ taxpayers with the standard deduction. In my case, it is splitting the $600 deduction between the taxpayer and spouse. As a result, the sum of Line 11 on the worksheet does not add up to the AGI on the Federal tax return. On the Federal tax return, the AGI does not include the contribution amount. The contribution is subtracted after AGI is calculated.

Even though the worksheet results in the correct spousal tax adjustment, the Virginia return is rejected with an error. There is a diagnostic that shows this, but I thought I would try anyway.  

On the Cash Contribution input form this is a box to enter -1 if the state contribution is different, but when I did this the worksheet calculation was not affected. 

0 Cheers