Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA Reject Message

sappy021
Level 2

For a 2022 individual tax return, I attempted e-filing the return and get the following error message: The e-File database indicates that Form 8962 or a binary attachment with description containing "ACA Explanation" must be present in the return. I asked the client and he said he never got health insurance through the public marketplace, so he does not have a form 1095-A. Client is filing MFS and there is a chance his ex-spouse might have gotten insurance through the exchange.

Per ProConnect proposed solution, Form 1095-A should have been or will be received by the taxpayer. The ACA Marketplace agency is required to provide a Form 1095-A by January 31. In order to electronically file this return, the taxpayer's Form 1095-A must be obtained, and the information must be entered on the taxpayer's return. If the taxpayer is certain that no one on the return had insurance through the ACA Marketplace, you may certify that no 1095-A will be received. Client is not certain that is the case To do this: 1. Go to the 1095-A, and check the box near the top of the form to indicate that No Marketplace health insurance was purchased. 2. Go to E-File on the Menu bar and Select 'Attach PDF Files'. 3. Select Add Attachment. 4. In the Type column, select 'ACA Explanation'.

Is this situation one that causes the client to have to paper file this return?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
dkh
Level 15

What happens if you follow the instructions and try to efile?

0 Cheers
sappy021
Level 2

The client never received the 1095-A form. As far as certifying that no 1095-A will be received, I called ProConnect support and they were unable to walk me through how to complete the certification. I don't see any box at the top of any forms in ProConnect to indicate that No Marketplace Insurance was purchased.

0 Cheers