Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A client passed away in July, and I had Estimated payments for 2023 automatically charged to her bank account. How do I stop making the Estimated Payments ?

pmagrath
Level 1

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

Easiest way is to close the account, if it hasn't already been frozen once Social Security notified the bank.  I had a client who had set up a Sept 15, 2022 payment (through another preparer) --  it didn't clear.  

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If you look at the 8879 that they signed for 2022, it has a phone number.  I think the estimated payments can be cancelled by calling that phone number.

BobKamman
Level 15

You mean, they would have signed it for 2023. 

0 Cheers
WrightTaxCPA
Level 1

Assuming your client does not have a surviving spouse, the executor or administrator of your client's estate will need to file a Form 56 Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship with the IRS to notify the IRS of the existence of a fiduciary responsibility, if they have not done so already.

The executor or administrator would then have to contact the IRS' e-file Payment Services at 888-353-4537. Or, they can give you a power of attorney (Form 2848) to call on their behalf.

Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)