Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Isn't Sale of Investment Property in Other State Showing in that State Return?

msindc1
Level 4
Folks:

Client had a rental property in a foreign state.  She sold it mid-year.  There was a loss for the year, so no income to report.  The capital gain on the sale appears on the federal return and her home state return--but shouldn't it be on the foreign state return instead of her home state?

Micah
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
msindc1
Level 4

Thanks for your response.

I should have been clear:  I entered the sale in Screen 22 (Depreciation).  I did make sure that all entries associated with the income/expense and the sale of the property have the foreign state tagged.  In fact, I'm going to double chec--- uh, oops.  All entries EXCEPT the one key entry (income from sale) had the foreign state.  Sigh.

Sorry--and thanks!

M.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

You need to be sure the indicators for state on the sale are all tied to the foreign state. It should then show up on foreign state and resident state. 

More info on how you made the entries and for which type of entity will help if this answer is not sufficient. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
msindc1
Level 4

Thanks for your response.

I should have been clear:  I entered the sale in Screen 22 (Depreciation).  I did make sure that all entries associated with the income/expense and the sale of the property have the foreign state tagged.  In fact, I'm going to double chec--- uh, oops.  All entries EXCEPT the one key entry (income from sale) had the foreign state.  Sigh.

Sorry--and thanks!

M.

msindc1
Level 4

Oy.  And I just accidentally marked MY response instead of George's as the solution!  

0 Cheers