Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Startup cost before business become active (C-corp)

mikoa2
Level 1

This new corporation is not actively conducting business yet needs to file a return for 2020. It has some expenses that would need to be amortized once the business became active (which is next tax year), however, we can't do sp in this return. In this situation, how should I enter these expenses in the form 1120? (or should I leave the information completely and enter nothing in the deduction section?) The corporation does not have any income yet, just expenses. 

The expenses are deducted on book, but not sure what should I do on the tax form for the year business is not considered active. I have looked into IRS publications, various tax blogs, but the only information I could find was how to handle startup costs once the business becomes active, and there is no mention of what to do before the business is active.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Put them on the Balance Sheet as Intangible Assets.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Show the costs as startup costs on the balance sheet and start amortizing them once the business has officially commenced operations.

Slava Ukraini!
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

If you have formed your company, and registered in your state but not started operating you will need to file a return. You stated 1120 is it a c-corp or an s-corp. Which ever it is just follow Irs instructions for entering expenses for 1120-c, or 1120-s. Here is link: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120.pdf. For startup cost only you will claim in year you start operating. 

mikoa2
Level 1

Thank you very much for your comment! These expenses are recorded as deductions on the book so entering it in the schedule L would create the difference with the book. In this case, should I make an M-1 adjustment for this amount? (Enter as Startup cost to "expense recorded on books not deducted on this return") In this way, the Sch L stays consistent with the book, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way. Also, the asset is below $250K so it is not required to provide BS/M-1, but should I make sure to attach BS/M-1 to be clear?

0 Cheers