Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rental home into personal resident

aya
Level 2

What do i enter when client turns his rental residential home into his own home in depreciation and anywhere else?

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

You stop depreciating the property and hang on to the depreciation schedule for future reference when he sells the house.

Slava Ukraini!
aya
Level 2

Do I enter the date where it says Date disposed or sold or retired and that's the only thing to do for now I guess?

IRonMaN
Level 15

In ProSeries you can enter a sold date and not enter a sales price to make it stop depreciating, but I don't know if Lacerte is as kind as ProSeries is in those situations.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
aya
Level 2

When I enter date, it shows in date sold line but I guess it does not matter.  Thank you

0 Cheers
aya
Level 2

Also, I entered 12/31/22 in sold/retired part in all the depreciated properties but it didn't stop depreciating for building and improvement.  Does this have any consequesnses?  This client  made his rental into his resident in 2023.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can override depreciation for each asset to zero (-1).

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

You can change the method to "99" (land, or no depreciation).

Or

Change the Form to "17" = F 4562 only.  

Or, both.   That way you'll still have the info on depreciation, and basis when/if the house is sold.

I'm not sure entering a prior year sale date (2022)  in the current year (2023) program works.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
aya
Level 2

Thank you for tip.  This is very helpful.