Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS First time Homebuyer Credit not carrying over in Lacerte 2023 program

KimH516
Level 1

I have a client none of their information carried over to Screen 38.2 Repayment of the First Time Homebuyer Credit. It was completely blank. I went back and manually entered. Anyone else?

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

Mine ( I only have one) populated properly.  Consider re-proforma'ing if you haven't already entered much info into the 2023 return?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I thought those started back in 1962 and I didn't even think there were any still out there. 😯

Slava Ukraini!
KimH516
Level 1

I caught it because I always look at my two year comparison summaries. It was a married filing joint client but they have been divorced 7 years now. I manually entered it and they only have it one more year after this. Just wanted to mention so other preparers are on the look out for this. Sometimes weird things pop up in the program. I think this is our last open one in the firm anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though. If I caught it before the whole return was input I would have tried that!

abctax55
Level 15

Wait, you review the prior year comparison ?!?!  What a novel idea /S

@KimH516  You are new here.  You'd be surprised at how many tax preparers that post do not do that.

/S is 'our' short cut for 'sarcasm' 😉

Good job, and welcome to the zoo

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Holly_Webb_CPA
Level 2

This happened to one of my files- the taxpayer's credit came over but the spouse's did not. I called Lacerte and they claim to have fixed this via updates to 2022 and/or 2023 (in early Jan 2024). But I updated both my programs and then recreated the error on a test basis. 

0 Cheers
Holly_Webb_CPA
Level 2

These generally took place in 2007 and 2008, repayment usually started in 2010 and 2024 will be the last year of repayment for most taxpayers, if they are even still in that home.

0 Cheers