Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAGI calculated

Does LC calculate MAGI?  If so, where does it appear?

It appears on Form 8960.

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Could you clarify what you are asking?  You seem to be asking where does it appear, but then you said it appears on Form 8960.

Are you asking about MAGI for purposes of the Net Investment Income Tax on Form 8960, or are you asking about some other version of MAGI for another purpose?

MAGI and only MAGI.

Is there a worksheet or statement that can be produced?

I noticed that is appears on F8960. Is the calculation of MAGI shown in detail?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As I asked before, are you asking about MAGI for purposes of the Net Investment Income Tax on Form 8960, or are you asking about some other version of MAGI for another purpose?

"MAGI" does not have a universal definition.  There are about a dozen things that use "MAGI", and many of them are calculated differently from other versions. 

So are you specifically wanting to know how the calculation of MAGI is for 8960?  Or are you wanting some other version of MAGI?

BobKamman
Level 15

@TaxGuyBill Good question.  Maybe it's about the O. Henry short story.  But then again, it could be about the original gold, frankincense and myrrh.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

I love that story.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

O. Henry short story. 

Actually, I'm related to him (and am partially named after him).  I don't quite remember how I'm related, but it is something like my grandpa's uncle.

Any version of MAGI. Does LC produce a report or worksheet that lists any version of MAGI?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You already said the MAGI for the Net Investment Tax appears on 8960.  So yes, it produces something that lists MAGI.

Assuming that isn't actually what you are wanting to know, it would really help if you expand on exactly what you are looking for and why.

0 Cheers

On what worksheets or forms do the different versions of MAGI of which you are aware appear?

0 Cheers